- B.Tech., Chemical Engineering, I.I.T. Kharagpur, 1992.
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Cincinnati, 1995.
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, University of Houston, Dec 1999.
- Staff/Advisory Engineer, IBM Semiconductor R&D Center, Hopewell Junction, New York, 2000-2006.
Our research activities are in the areas of transport phenomena, reaction engineering, materials processing and micro/nano fabrication leading to the technology development of chemical sensors - utilizing both printable flexible electronics based platforms as well as conventional silicon electronics based platforms. We study the physical modification and chemical modification to fabricate functional sensing surfaces, transport phenomena of the analytes to these surfaces (including in microfluidic units), the specific recognition reactions at these surfaces, charge transport in the semiconducting materials, and device design (including transistors and arrays). There is an effort towards understanding the sensing mechanisms. These chemical sensors (including biosensors) have applications in healthcare, environmental monitoring, industrial safety, and security.
- IBM Invention Achievement Award (2002-2006)
- Jeet Bindra Research Fellowship (2010-2013)
- Golden Jubilee Chair Professor on Entrepreneurship and Innovation (2018-2021)
- Dr. S. Sampath Chair Professor (2022-2025)
- D. Bhatt, S. Panda, "Dual-gate ion-sensitive field-effect transistors: A review", Electrochemical Science Advances 2, e2100195 (2023).
- S.K. Gautam, S. Panda, "Highly sensitive Cu-ethylenediamine/PANI composite sensor for NH3 detection at room temperature", Talanta, 258, 124418 (2023).
- V.S. Rathaur, S. Panda, "Analysis of mixed PSA and Tween-20 sessile droplets for the reduction in interfacial PSA adsorption", Chemical Engineering Journal Advances, 14, 100482 (2023).
- A. Jain, S.K. Gautam, S. Panda. "NH3-detecting room temperature PANI-TiO2-based flexible gas sensor with EIS-validated sensing mechanism", Physica Scripta,98, 095909 (2023).
Recent Patent Applications
- D.K. Maurya, S. Panda, "A Method for Encapsulating PANI-CSA Based Temperature Sensor for Enhancing Humidity Stability and Product", Indian Patent 426595 (2023).
- V. Srivastava and S. Panda, "A Wearable Device With Smart Timer", Indian Patent 426819 (2023).
- R. Chepyala and S. Panda, "Surface Functionalization Unit", Indian Patent 428946 (2023).
- S.K. Gautam, S. Panda, "A Process for Fabrication of a Gas Sensor for Detection of Ammonia and Product Thereof", Indian Patent 436706 (2023).
- S. Panda, D. Bhatt and S. Kumar, "A Process for Fabrication of Electrolytic Gated Field-Effect Transistor-Based Sensors", Indian Patent 446309 (2023).