- B. Tech. (Hons), IIT Kharagpur, 1982-86
- Ph.D., University of Arizona, USA, 1991-95
- Alexander Humboldt Fellow, University of Hannover, Germany, 2004-06
We continue to synthesize novel nanomaterials to address energy, environmental and health problems. In particular, our research themes center around the development of carbon-based materials, especially carbon nanofibers and carbon nanoparticles in the adsorption, and catalytic reaction applications including microbial fuel cells. The recent focus is on the synthesis and characterization of the adsorbents and metal catalysts for the removal of common atmospheric air pollutants such as CO2, NOx, and SOx by adsorption and/or catalytic oxidation and that of solutes such as arsenic, fluoride, heavy metals, and organics from wastewater by adsorption. We have also undertaken studies on the catalytic wet air oxidation of recalcitrant organics in water. On the theoretical side, a number of mathematical models based on lattice Boltzmann method have been developed to predict the breakthrough curves in the narrow tubular packed bed adsorber. The recent focus is on the development of lattice Boltzmann models for multi-phase flow.
- Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowship 2018-2019
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry, UK, 2015
- Raj and Neera Singh Chair (2015-18)
- Raj and Neera Singh Chair (2011-14)
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow (2003)
- M. H. Shukla Memorial Award for the Best technical paper presented, CHEMCON, Kolkata (December 2000).
- AICTE career award for the young teacher (1998).
- University of Arizona Graduate Fellowship (1991-92).
- S. K. Nandi Memorial merit scholarship, IIT Kharagpur (1985-86)
- Process Engineer, BOC Gases, New Jersey, USA, 1995-97
- Project Engineer, BOC (India) Ltd, Kolkata, 1986-90
- Fluid Mechanics for Chemical Engineers(https://nptel.ac.in/courses/103104043/)
- Mass Transfer for Chemical Engineers (https://nptel.ac.in/courses/103104046/)
Finite Difference-based Numerical Methods in Chemical Engineering: E-Lectures
Heterogeneous Chemical Reaction Engineering: E-Lectures
- "Aqueous Phase Adsorption: Theory, Simulations and Experiments" , edited by Jayant K. Singh and Nishith Verma. (2018) Taylor & Francis/CRC Press.
- "Novel Carbon-based Nano-adsorbents for Water Purification" , by Nishith Verma and Ashutosh Sharma in "Aquananotechnology: Global Prospects", edited by David Reisner and T. Pradeep. (2014) Taylor & Francis/CRC Press.
- "Lattice-Boltzmann Modeling of Adsorption Breakthrough in Packed Beds" by Nishith Verma in "Aqueous Phase Adsorption: Theory, Simulations and Experiments", edited by Jayant K. Singh and Nishith Verma. (2018) Taylor & Francis/CRC Press.
- “3D Graphene-Based Scaffolds with High Conductivity and Biocompatibility for Applications in Microbial Fuel Cells” by Ashish Yadav and Nishith Verma in “Graphene-Based 3D Macrostructures for Clean Energy and Environmental Applications”, edited by Rajasekhar Bala and Shamik Chowdhury. (2020) Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC).
- A system for simultaneous detection of cholesterol, creatinine and glucose" (Indian patent No: 202011005115, filed, 2020; Inventors: Nishith Verma, Pallab Bairagi, Surabhi Shrivastava) .
- "Use of carbon fibers for removing soil toxic metals and increasing micronutrient supply to plants" (Indian patent No: 1103395, filed, 2019; Inventors: Nishith Verma, Arun Kumar).
- "Process for the treatment of wastewater" (International patent no: WO 2015/114486 Al, filed 2019 Inventors: Ashish Yadav, Nishith Verma; Kaushik Basak and Arin Von Mourik (Shell International Research Maatschappiz BV, The Netherlands).
- "Process for the treatment of wastewater" (International patent no: WO 2017/202843 A1, filed, 2017; Inventors: Nishith Verma; Kaushik Basak and Arin Von Mourik (Shell International Research Maatschappiz BV, The Netherlands).
- “Process for Preparing a Catalyst and Use Thereof” (International patent no: WO 2017/202863 A1, filed, 2017; Inventors: Nishith Verma; Kaushik Basak and Arin Von Mourik (Shell International Research Maatschappiz BV, The Netherlands).
- "Method for preparation of graphitic carbon micro-nanofiber-based electrodes, asymmetrically dispersed with bimetal nanoparticles"(Indian patent No. 340306, granted 2019, Inventors: Nishith Verma; Shiv Singh) .
- “Laser-facilitated synthesis of metal nanoparticles and carbon nanofibers-dispersed PVA-based microchannels for water remediation” (US patent application no: IN-867185, Filed 2014; Inventors: Nishith VERMA; Prateek KHARE; Janakarajan RAMKUMAR).
- “Metal nanoparticles-doped antibacterial agents and methods of preparation and use"US patent No: US9844222B2, granted 2017. Inventors: Prateek Khare, Ashutosh Sharma, Nishith Verma.
- "Bi-metal nanoadsorbents and methods for their preparation and use" US patent No: US9,809,466, granted 2019. Inventors: Prateek Khare, Ashutosh Sharma, Nishith Verma.
- “Polymeric nanocomposites and methods for their preparation and use" (US patent No: US 10, 227, 458 B2, granted 2019, Inventors: Ajit K. Sharma, Jayant K. Singh, Nishith Verma).
- “Process for synthesis of sonicated hierarchal web of carbon micro-nano-fiber and applications thereof" (IPA No. 1157/DEL/2009; granted 2017, Inventors: Nishith Verma, Riju Singhal, Ashutosh Sharma).
- “Liquid-solid radially cross-flow multi-stage fluidized bed contactor” (Indian Patent No: 2583, granted 2014, Inventors: Nishith Verma and Rupesh Verma).
- George, Justin K., Yadav, Ashish, Verma, Nishith, Efficient microfiltration of oil-water emulsion using ACF-supported and GO-dispersed RF membrane, Separation And Purification Technology, Vol 251, Article Number: 117310, Published: NOV 15, 2020.
- George, JK., Yadav, A., Verma, N. “Efficient microfiltration of oil-water emulsion using ACF-supported and GO-dispersed RF membrane”, Separation and Purification Technology 251 (2020), 117310.
- Pophali, A, Singh, S., Verma, N. “A dual photoelectrode-based double-chambered microbial fuel cell applied for simultaneous COD and Cr (VI) reduction in wastewater”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy (2020), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2020.06.162.
- Kumar, A., Shrivastava, S., Verma, N., Hsueh, CC, Chang, CT, Chen, BY, “Electrolyte-free Electro-Oxidation of Aqueous Glyphosate: CuPc-ACF Electrode and Optimization of Operating Parameters”, Process Safety and Environmental Protection (2020) 142, 260-271
- RA Omar, N Verma, PK Arora."Sequential desulfurization of thiol compounds containing liquid fuels: Adsorption over Ni-doped carbon beads followed by biodegradation using environmentally isolated Bacillus zhangzhouensis" Fuel (2020) 277, 118208.
- Shrivastava, S., Bairagi, P., Verma, N. "Spermine biomarker of cancerous cells voltammetrically detected on a poly(β-cyclodextrin) - electropolymerized carbon film dispersed with Cu - CNFs" Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical (2020) 313, 128055.
- Jejurkar, S., Khanna, A., Verma, N. "Maldistribution Effects in an Industrial Scale Trickle Bed Reactor" Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. (2020) 59 (16), 7405-7415
- Kumar, A., Verma, N. "Cu-Fe bimetal-carbon nanofiberous catalytic beads for enhanced oxidation of dichlorvos pesticide and simultaneous reduction of Cr (VI) in wet air" Catalysis Today (2020) 348, 194.
- Goyal, A., Bairagi, PK, Verma, N. "Mathematical Modelling of a Non-enzymatic Amperometric Electrochemical Biosensor for Cholesterol" Electroanalysis 32 (2020), 1-13
- Pophali, A., Singh, S., Verma, N. "imultaneous hydrogen generation and COD reduction in a photoanode-based microbial electrolysis cell" International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 45 (2020) 25985
- Kumar, A., Omar, RA, Verma, N.> "Efficient electro-oxidation of diclofenac persistent organic pollutant in wastewater using carbon film-supported Cu-rGO electrode" Chemosphere 248 (2020), 126030.
- Kumar, A., Gahoi, P., Verma, N. "Simultaneous scavenging of Cr(VI) from soil and facilitation of nutrient uptake in plant using a mixture of carbon microfibers and nanofibers" Chemosphere 239 (2020),124760.
- Jain, P., Kumar, A., Verma, N., Gupta, RK.In-situ synthesis of TiO2 nanoparticles in ACF: Photocatalytic degradation under continuous flow",Solar Energy 189 (2019), 35-44.
- Bairagi, P.K., Goyal, A., Verma, N."Methyl nicotinate biomarker of tuberculosis voltammetrically detected on cobalt nanoparticle-dispersed reduced graphene oxide-based carbon film in blood"Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical 297(2019),126754.
- Pophali, A., Lee, K-M, Zhang, L., Chuang, Y-C, Ehm, L., Cuiffo, M.A., Halada, G.P., Rafailovich, M., Verma, N., Kim, T. "First Synthesis of Poly(furfuryl) Alcohol Precursor-based Porous Carbon Beads as an Efficient Adsorbent for Volatile Organic Compounds" , Chemical Engineering Journal 373 (2019) 365–374.
- Bairagi, P., Verma, N., "Electro-polymerized polyacrylamide nano film grown on a Ni-reduced graphene oxide-polymer composite: A highly selective non-enzymatic electrochemical recognition element for glucose" Sensors & Actuators: B. Chemical (2019), 289, 216.
- Popahali, A, Yadav, A, Verma, N. "Efficient Oxygen Reduction in a Microbial Fuel Cell based on Carbide-derived Carbon Electrode using Thiourea as a Single Source of Electroconductive Heteroatoms and Graphitic Carbon" International Journal of Hydrogen Energy (2019) 44, 10982.
- Gupta, S. G., Kumar, A, Verma, N. "Bacterial homoserine lactones as nanocomposite fertilizer and defense regulator for chickpeas" Environmental Science: Nano (2019) 6, 1246.
- Bairagi, P., Gupta, G.S., Verma, N. "Fe-enriched Clay-coated and Reduced Graphene Oxide-modified N-doped Polymer Nanocomposite: A Natural Recognition Element-based Sensing Electrode for DNT" Electroanalysis(2019) 31 , 203.
- Yadav, A., Verma, N. "Efficient hydrogen production using Ni-graphene oxide-dispersed laser-engraved 3D carbon micropillars as electrodes for microbial electrolytic cell" (2019) Renewable Energy , 138, 628-638.
- Noori, M.T., Verma, N. "Cobalt - Iron phthalocyanine supported on carbide - Derived carbon as an excellent oxygen reduction reaction catalyst for microbial fuel cells" (2019) Electrochimica Acta , 298, 70-79.
- Ashfaq, M., Verma, N., Khan, S. "Novel polymeric composite grafted with metal nanoparticle-dispersed CNFs as a chemiresistive non-destructive fruit sensor material" (2018) Materials Chemistry and Physics , 217, 216-224.
- Kumar, A., Verma, N. "Wet air oxidation of aqueous dichlorvos pesticide over catalytic copper-carbon nanofiberous beads", (2018) Chemical Engineering Journal ,351, 428-440.
- Yadav, A., Verma, N. "Carbon bead-supported copper-dispersed carbon nanofibers: An efficient catalyst for wet air oxidation of industrial wastewater in a recycle flow reactor", (2018) Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry ,67, 448-460.
- Pandey, I., Bairagi, P.K., Verma, N. " Electrochemically grown polymethylene blue nanofilm on copper-carbon nanofiber nanocomposite: An electrochemical sensor for creatinine" (2018) Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical ,277, 562-570.
- Bhadauriya, P., Mamtani, H., Ashfaq, M., Raghav, A. Teotia, AK, Kumar, A., Verma, N." Synthesis of yeast-immobilized and copper nanoparticle-dispersed carbon nanofiber-based diabetic wound dressing material: Simultaneous control of glucose and bacterial infections" (2018) ACS Applied Bio Materials 1 (2) ,246-258.
- Bairagi, P., Verma, N. "Electrochemically deposited dendritic poly (methyl orange) nanofilm on metal-carbon-polymer nanocomposite: A novel non-enzymatic electrochemical biosensor for cholesterol" (2018) Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry ,814, 134-143.
- Kumar, R., Ashfaq, M., Verma, N. "Synthesis of Novel PVA-Starch Formulation-supported Cu-Zn Nanoparticle Carrying Carbon Nanofibers as a Nanofertilizer: Controlled Release of Micronutrients" (2018) Journal of Materials Science 53(10) ,7150-7164.
- Singh, S., Bairagi, P., Verma, N., "Candle soot-derived carbon nanoparticles: An inexpensive and efficient electrode for microbial fuel cells" (2018) Electrochimica Acta ,264, 119–127.
- Prajapati, Y., Verma, N., "Hydrodesulfurization of thiophene on activated carbon fiber-supported nimo catalysts" (2018) Energy & Fuels 32(2) ,2183-2196.
- Prajapati, Y., Verma, N., "Fixed bed adsorptive desulfurization of thiophene over Cu/Ni-dispersed carbon nanofiber" (2018) Fuel ,216, 381-389.
- Mishra, S., Yadav A., Verma, N.,"Carbon gel-supported Fe-graphene disks: Synthesis, adsorption of aqueous Cr(VI) and Pb(II) and the removal mechanism" (2017)Chemical Engineering Journal 326, 987–999.
- Yadav, A., Verma, N., "Enhanced hydrogen storage in graphitic carbon micro-nanofibers at moderate temperature and pressure: Synergistic interaction of asymmetrically-dispersed nickel-ceria nanoparticles" (2017) International Journal of Hydrogen Energy ,42, 27139-27153.
- Yadav, A., Faisal, M., Subramaniam, A., Verma, N., "Nickel Nanoparticle-doped and Steam-modified Multiscale Structure of Carbon Micro-Nanofibers for Hydrogen Storage: Effects of Metal, Surface Texture and Operating Conditions", " (2017) International Journal of Hydrogen Energy ,42, 6104-6117.
- Ashfaq M., Verma N., Khan S., Highly effective Cu/Zn-carbon micro/nanofiber-polymer nanocomposite-based wound dressing biomaterial against the P. aeruginosa multi- and extensively drug-resistant strains Materials Science and Engineering C ,77, 630-641 (2017) .
- Ashfaq, M., Verma,N., Khan, S., "Carbon nanofibers as a micronutrient carrier in plants: efficient translocation and controlled release of Cu nanoparticles Carbon nanofibers as a micronutrient carrier in plants: efficient translocation and controlled release of Cu nanoparticles", (2017) Environmental Science: Nano, 4 (1) ,138-148, (2017).
- Gupta S., Yadav A., Singh S., Verma N., Synthesis of Silicon Carbide-Derived Carbon as an Electrode of a Microbial Fuel Cell and an Adsorbent of Aqueous Cr(VI) Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research ,56, 1233-1244 (2017).
- Modi, A., Singh, S., Verma, N., "Improved performance of a single chamber microbial fuel cell using nitrogen-doped polymer-metal-carbon nanocomposite-based air-cathode", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy ,42, 3271-3280 (2017).
- Mishra S., Verma N., Surface ion imprinting-mediated carbon nanofiber-grafted highly porous polymeric beads: Synthesis and application towards selective removal of aqueous Pb(II) Chemical Engineering Journal4 (2), Vol. 313, 1142-1151 (2017).
- Prajapati, Y.N., Verma, N., "Adsorptive desulfurization of diesel oil using nickel nanoparticle-doped activated carbon beads with/without carbon nanofibers: Effects of adsorbate size and adsorbent texture", (2017) Fuel 189, 186-194.
- Gupta, S., Yadav, A., Verma, N., "Simultaneous Cr(VI) reduction and bioelectricity generation using microbial fuel cell based on alumina-nickel nanoparticles-dispersed carbon nanofiber electrode", (2017) Chemical Engineering Journal ,307, 729-738.
- Khare P., Verma N., "A Novel Alumina Nanoparticle-Carbon Micronanofiber-Polypropylene Nanocomposite with Improved Electrical, Thermal and Mechanical Properties" 2017) Polymer Composites. E359, https://doi.org/10.1002/pc.23783.
- Banerjee, A., Mahato, N., Bhaduri, B., Balaji, N., Siddiqui, ABR, Aruna, STR, Verma, N., Balani, K.,“Catalytic effects of CeO2 and carbon nanotube addition in plasma-sprayed Al2O3”,(2017) Nanomaterials and Energy 6, 29.
- Khare, P., Ramkumar, J., Verma, N., "Carbon Nanofiber-skinned Three Dimensional Ni/Carbon Micropillars: High Performance Electrodes of a Microbial Fuel Cell", (2016) Electrochimica Acta ,219, 88-98.
- Babu, H.V., Sahu, S., Haderlein, M., Peukert, W., Verma, N. "Numerical Investigation of Flow Patterns and Concentration Profiles in Y-Mixers", (2016) Chemical Engineering and Technology 39 ,1963-1971.
- Andrabi, S.M., Tiwari, J., Singh, S., Sarkar, J., Verma, N., Kumar, A., "Supermacroporous hybrid polymeric cryogels for efficient removal of metallic contaminants and microbes from water", (2016) International Journal of Polymeric Materials and Polymeric Biomaterials ,65, 636-645.
- Prajapati, Y., Bhaduri, B., Joshi, H.C., Srivastava, A., Verma, N., “Aqueous Phase Adsorption of Different Sized Molecules on Activated Carbon Fibers: Effect of Textural Properties”, (2016) Chemosphere ,155, pp. 65-69.
- Yadav, A., Teja, A.K., Verma, N., “Removal of phenol from water by catalytic wet air oxidation using carbon bead-Supported iron nanoparticle-Containing carbon nanofibers in an especially configured reactor” (2016) Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering 4 (2) ,pp. 1504-1513.
- Khare, P., Yadav, A., Ramkumar, J., Verma, N., “Microchannel-embedded metal-carbon-polymer nanocomposite as a novel support for chitosan for efficient removal of hexavalent chromium from water under dynamic conditions” (2016) Chemical Engineering Journal 293 ,pp. 44-54.
- Ashfaq, M., Verma, N., Khan, S., “Copper/zinc bimetal nanoparticles-dispersed carbon nanofibers: A novel potential antibiotic material” (2016) Materials Science and Engineering C 59 ,pp. 938-947.
- Modi, A., Singh, S., Verma, N., “In situ nitrogen-doping of nickel nanoparticle-dispersed carbon nanofiber-based electrodes: Its positive effects on the performance of a microbial fuel cell” (2016) Electrochimica Acta 190 ,pp. 620-627.
- Singh, S., Modi, A., Verma N., “Enhanced power generation using a novel polymer-coated nanoparticles dispersed-carbon micro-nanofibers-based air-cathode in a membrane-less single chamber microbial fuel cell” (2016) International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 41 (2) ,pp. 1237-1247.
- Talreja, N., Verma, N., Kumar, D., "Carbon Bead-Supported Ethylene Diamine-Functionalized Carbon Nanofibers: An Efficient Adsorbent for Salicylic Acid", (2016) Clean - Soil, Air, Water 44 ,pp. 1461-1470.
- Mishra, S., Verma, N., “Carbon bead-supported hollow carbon nanofibers synthesized via templating method for the removal of hexavalent chromium”(2016) Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 36, 346-354.