We continue to synthesize novel nanomaterials to address energy, environmental, and health aspects of chemical engineering. In particular, our research themes center on the development of carbon-based materials, especially carbon nanofibers and carbon nanoparticles in the adsorption and catalytic reaction applications including microbial fuel cells. The recent focus is on the synthesis and characterization of the adsorbents and metal catalysts for the removal of common atmospheric air pollutants such as CO2, NOx, and SOx by adsorption and/or catalytic oxidation and that of solutes such as arsenic, fluoride, heavy metals, and organics from wastewater by adsorption and advanced oxidation processes. On the theoretical side, a number of mathematical models based on lattice Boltzmann method have been developed to predict the breakthrough curves in the narrow tubular packed bed adsorber. The recent focus is on the development of lattice Boltzmann models for multi-phase flow.
Awards and Honors
- Chevron Corporation Chair, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (2022-)
- Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowship (2018-2019)
- Raj and Neera Singh Chair, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (2015-18)
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry, UK (2015)
- Raj and Neera Singh Chair, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (2011-14)
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow (2004)
- AICTE career award for the young teacher (1998)
- S. K. Nandi Memorial merit Scholarship, IIT Kharagpur (1985-86)
- "Aqueous Phase Adsorption: Theory, Simulations and Experiments", edited by Jayant K. Singh and Nishith Verma. (2018) Taylor & Francis/CRC Press.
- "Exploring Carbon Surface Using Electron Microscopy: Applications to Energy, Environment, and Health", edited by Krishanu Biswas, Sri Sivakumar, Nilesh Gurao in "Electron Microscopy in Science and Engineering" Springer, UK.
- "Novel Carbon-based Nano-adsorbents for Water Purification", by Nishith Verma and Ashutosh Sharma in "Aquananotechnology: Global Prospects", edited by David Reisner and T. Pradeep. (2014) Taylor & Francis/CRC Press.
- "Lattice-Boltzmann Modeling of Adsorption Breakthrough in Packed Beds" by Nishith Verma in "Aqueous Phase Adsorption: Theory, Simulations and Experiments", edited by Jayant K. Singh and Nishith Verma. (2018) Taylor & Francis/CRC Press.
- "3D Graphene-Based Scaffolds with High Conductivity and Biocompatibility for Applications in Microbial Fuel Cells" by Ashish Yadav and Nishith Verma in "Graphene-Based 3D Macrostructures for Clean Energy and Environmental Applications", edited by Rajasekhar Bala and Shamik Chowdhury. (2020) Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC).
Innovative Technologies/Products developed (patents filed/granted)
- "A process for fabrication of a chemiresistive sensor and product thereof"
(Indian patent No.: 202211023454, filed April 2022; Inventors: Nishith Verma, Haider Ali, Dhananjay Gupta)
- "Electrode Substrate for Electrochemical Sensing of Biomolecules" (Indian patent No: 391276 (granted) March 2022; Inventors: Nishith Verma, Haider Ali)
- "A Packed Bed Microbial Fuel Cell (MFC) to Treat Wastewater in Continuous Mode" (Indian patent No.: 202111038920, filed September, 2021; Inventors: Komal Pandey, Priyanka Gupta Nishith Verma, Shiv Singh)
- "A multi-analyte electrochemical sensor (MAES) for simultaneous detection of glucose, creatinine and cholesterol" (Indian patent no. 392734 (granted); Inventors: Nishith Verma, Pallab Bairagi, Surabhi Shrivastava)
- "Use of carbon fibers for removing soil toxic metals and increasing micronutrient supply to plants" (Indian patent No: 389453 (granted) 2020; Inventors: Nishith Verma, Arun Kumar)
- "Process for the treatment of wastewater" (US patent WO 2019/101710 A1, filed, May 2019; Inventors: Ashish Yadav, Nishith Verma (IIT Kanpur), Kaushik Basak and Arin Von Mourik (Shell International Research Maatschappiz BV, The Netherlands))
- "Process for the treatment of wastewater" (US Patent 11,168,011 (granted); Nishith Verma (IIT Kanpur), Kaushik Basak and Arin Von Mourik (Shell International Research Maatschappiz BV, The Netherlands))
- "Process for Preparing a Catalyst and Use Thereof" (US Patent 11,014,084 (granted); Inventors: Nishith Verma (IIT Kanpur), Kaushik Basak and Arin Von Mourik (Shell International Research Maatschappiz BV, The Netherlands))
- "Preparation of graphitic carbon micro-nanofiber-based electrodes, asymmetrically dispersed with bimetal nanoparticles, and applications thereof in energy devices" (Indian patent No. 340306 (granted) May 2020; Inventors: Nishith Verma, Shiv Singh)
- "Polymeric nanocomposite films with embedded channels" (US patent application no: US10258975B2 (granted) 2016; Inventors: Nishith Verma, Prateek Khare, Janakarajan Ramkumar)
- "BI - METAL NANOADSORBENTS AND METHODS FOR THEIR PREPARATION AND USE" (US patent No: US9844222B2 Filed 2013, granted 2017; Inventors: Ajit K. Sharma, Ashutosh Sharma, Nishith Verma)
- "Metal nanoparticles-doped antibacterial agents and methods of preparation and use" (US patent No: US 9,844,222 B2; granted, 2019; Inventors: Nishith Verma, Prateek Khare, Ashutosh Sharma)
- "Preparation of activated carbon fibers/carbon nanofibers dispersed PVA nanocomposite material for lithium ion electrolyte battery separator" (US patent No: US 10,227,458 B2, granted (2019); Inventors: Ajit K. Sharma, Jayant K. Singh, Nishith Verma)
- "Process for synthesis of sonicated hierarchal web of carbon micro-nano-fiber and applications thereof" (IPA No. 1157/DEL/2009; granted in November 2017, Inventors: Nishith Verma, Riju Singhal, Ashutosh Sharma)
- "Liquid-solid radially cross-flow multi-stage fluidized bed contactor" (Indian Patent No: 25837, filed on April 2007 and granted on January, 2014; Inventors: Nishith Verma and Rupesh Verma)
- P Gupta, N Verma, "Conversion of CO2 to Formate using Activated Carbon Fiber-supported g-C3N4-NiCoWO4 Photoanode in a Microbial Electrosynthesis System",Chemical Engineering Journal (2022) 446 (2), 137.
- RA Omar, N Verma,"A Review of Adsorptive Desulfurization of Liquid Fuels and Regeneration Attempts", Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research (2022) 61 (25), 8595-8606.
- JK George, N Verma,"Super-hydrophobic/Super-oleophilic carbon nanofiber-embedded resorcinol-formaldehyde composite membrane for effective separation of water-in-oil emulsion, Journal of Membrane Science (2022) 654 (15).
- JK George, A Bhagat, B Bhaduri, N Verma,"Carbon Nanofiber-Bridged Carbon Nitride-Fe2O3 Photocatalyst: Hydrogen Generation and Degradation of Aqueous Organics,Catalysis Letters (2022), DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10562-022-03985-6.
- U Alam, K Pandey, N Verma, "Photocatalytic Oxidation of Glyphosate and Reduction of Cr(VI) in Water over ACF-supported CoNiWO4-gCN Composite under Batch and Flow Conditions" Chemosphere (2022) 297 (134119).
- H Ali, N Verma,"A Cu-CNF-rGO Functionalized Carbon Film Indicated as a Versatile Electrode for Sensing of Biomarkers using Electropolymerized Recognition Elements",Journal of Materials Science (2022) 57, 6345-60.
- A Pophali, R Kajala, H Ali, N Verma, KDP Nigam,"Coiled Flow Inverter Mediated Synthesis of Activated Carbon Fibers-Supported Ni Nanoparticles,Reaction Chemistry & Engineering (2022) 7, 719-729
- RA Omar, N Verma, PK Arora, "Successive Bacterial Desulfurization and Regeneration of Liquid Fuel over Ni-doped Carbon Beads using a Single Enterococcus Faecium Strain Isolated from an Industrial Wastewater".
Fuel (2022) 309 (122209)
- H Ali, A Yadav, N Verma."Facile Measurement of Cortisol using Microchannel Embedded Cu-rGO-polymer Composite Chemiresistive Sensor". Chemical Engineering and Processing - Process Intensification (2022). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2021.108656 .
- K Pandey, N Verma, G Gupta."Iron-carbon nanofibers coated with acylated homoserine lactone enhance plant growth and suppress Fusarium wilt disease in Cicer arietinum by modulating soil microbiome". ACS Agricultural Science & Technology (2022) 2 (2), 311-322
- Gupta P., Pandey K., Verma N."Augmented Complete Mineralization of Glyphosate in Wastewater via Microbial Degradation post CWAO over Supported Fe-CNF".Chemical Engineering Journal (2022), 428, 132008.
- Yadav M., Pophali A., Verma N., Kim T."Oxidation of VOCs on a Highly Stabilized Furfuryl Alcohol-Based Activated Carbon Supported Nickel Oxide Catalyst".(2022) Journal of Industrial & Engineering Chemistry 105, 313-3
- Alam U, Verma N."Direct Z-scheme-based novel cobalt nickel tungstate/graphitic carbon nitride composite: Enhanced photocatalytic degradation of organic pollutants and oxidation of benzyl alcohol".Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, (2021) 630, 127606
- Pandey K, Gupta P, Verma N, Singh S."CeO2 Sprinkled Graphitic Novel Packed Bed Anode-Based Single-Chamber MFC for Treatment of High Organic-Loaded Industrial Effluent in Upflow Continuous Mode". (2021) Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 9, 23106-23116
- Kaura, P. Mishra, T., Verma, N., Dalal, IS, Sheraton, V.,"Effects of Combined Chemotherapeutic Drugs on the Growth and Survival of Cancerous Tumours- An In-Silico Study", Journal of Computational Science (2021) 54, 101421.
- Omar, RA, Verma, N., Arora, PK,"Development of ESAT-6 based immunosensor for the detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis" Frontiers in Immunology (2021) 12, 1868
- Gahoi, P, Omar, RA, Verma, N, Gupta, GS,"Rhizobacteria and Acylated Homoserine Lactone-Based Nanobiofertilizer to Improve Growth and Pathogen Defense in Cicer arietinum and Triticum aestivum Plants"ACS Agricultural Science and Technology (2021) 1 (3), 240-252.
- Gupta, P, Noori, MT, Nunez, AE, Verma, N. ,"An insight into the bioelectrochemical photoreduction of CO2 to value-added chemicals",iScience (2021) 24 (4), 1-8.
- George, JK, Verma, N., Bhaduri, B., "Hydrophilic graphitic carbon nitride-supported Cu-CNFs: An efficient adsorbent for aqueous cationic dye molecules",Materials Letters (2021) 129762, 1-5.
- Singh, S, Pophali, A., Omar, RA, Kumar, R, Mondal, P., Pada, D, Pant, D., Verma, N,"A nickel oxide-decorated in situ grown 3-D graphitic forest engrained carbon foam electrode for microbial fuel cells",Chemical Communications (2021) 57, 879-82.
- Gupta, P, Verma, N., "Evaluation of degradation and mineralization of glyphosate pollutant in wastewater using catalytic wet air oxidation over Fe-dispersed carbon nanofibrous beads", Chemical Engineering Journal (2021) 417, 1-14.
- Yadav, A, Kumar, A, Verma, N, "Microchannel-engraved and Cu-dispersed carbon nanocomposite film as a chemiresistive sensor for aqueous metal ions",Chemical Engineering Science (2021) 231 (15), 1-10.
- Shrivastava, S., Kumar, A., Verma, N., Chen, BYC, Chang, CT, "Voltammetric Detection of Aqueous Glyphosate on a Copper and Poly(Pyrrole)-electromodified Activated Carbon Fiber",Electroanalysis (2021) 33, 916 - 924.
- George, JK, Yadav, A, Verma, N."Electrochemical hydrogen storage behavior of Ni-Ceria impregnated carbon micro-nanofibers",International Journal of Hydrogen Energy (2021) 46 (2), 2491-2502.
- Pophali, A, Singh, S., Verma, N. , "A dual photoelectrode-based double-chambered microbial fuel cell applied for simultaneous COD and Cr (VI) reduction in wastewater", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy (2021), 46 (4), 3160-70.
- Omar, Rishabh Anand, Verma, Nishith, Arora, Pankaj Kumar, Sequential desulfurization of thiol compounds containing liquid fuels: Adsorptionover Ni-doped carbon beads followed by biodegradation using environmentally isolated Bacillus zhangzhouensis, Fuel, Vol 277, Article Number: 118208, Published: OCT 1, 2020.
George, Justin K., Yadav, Ashish, Verma, Nishith, Efficient microfiltration of oil-water emulsion using ACF-supported and GO-dispersed RF membrane, Separation And Purification Technology, Vol 251, Article Number: 117310, Published: NOV 15, 2020.
Kumar, A., Shrivastava, S., Verma, N., Hsueh, CC, Chang, CT, Chen, BY, "Electrolyte-free Electro-Oxidation of Aqueous Glyphosate: CuPc-ACF Electrode and Optimization of Operating Parameters", Process Safety and Environmental Protection (2020) 142, 260-271
- Shrivastava, S., Bairagi, P., Verma, N. "Spermine biomarker of cancerous cells voltammetrically detected on a poly(β-cyclodextrin) - electropolymerized carbon film dispersed with Cu - CNFs" Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical (2020) 313, 128055.
- Jejurkar, S., Khanna, A., Verma, N. "Maldistribution Effects in an Industrial Scale Trickle Bed Reactor" Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. (2020) 59 (16), 7405-7415
- Kumar, A., Verma, N. "Cu-Fe bimetal-carbon nanofiberous catalytic beads for enhanced oxidation of dichlorvos pesticide and simultaneous reduction of Cr (VI) in wet air" Catalysis Today (2020) 348, 194.
- Goyal, A., Bairagi, PK, Verma, N. "Mathematical Modelling of a Non-enzymatic Amperometric Electrochemical Biosensor for Cholesterol" Electroanalysis 32 (2020), 1-13
- Sheraton, MV, Chiew, GGY, Melnikov, V, Tan, EY, Luo, KQ, Verma, N. "Emergence of spatio-temporal variations in chemotherapeutic drug efficacy: in-vitro and in-Silico 3D tumour spheroid studies",BMC Cancer 20 (1) (2020), 1-16.
- Singh, S., Noori, MT, Verma, N.,"Efficient bio-electroreduction of CO2 to formate on a iron phthalocyanine-dispersed CDC in microbial electrolysis system",Electrochimica Acta 338 (2020), 1-9.
- Pophali, A., Singh, S., Verma, N. "imultaneous hydrogen generation and COD reduction in a photoanode-based microbial electrolysis cell" International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 45 (2020) 25985
- Kumar, A., Omar, RA, Verma, N. "Efficient electro-oxidation of diclofenac persistent organic pollutant in wastewater using carbon film-supported Cu-rGO electrode" Chemosphere 248 (2020), 126030.
- Kumar, A., Gahoi, P., Verma, N. "Simultaneous scavenging of Cr(VI) from soil and facilitation of nutrient uptake in plant using a mixture of carbon microfibers and nanofibers" Chemosphere 239 (2020),124760.