Philosophy of the Project
- The Philosophy of the project is to
revive the rich Indian craft tradition. Many
of the traditional crafts are vanishing due
to its complex design, material,
manufacturing process etc.
- The modern technology can simplify and
restore the heritage of traditional craft
design without losing its essence.
- Considering the above philosophy Lucknow
Chikan embroidery has been identified to do
the above experiment through field
- In Lucknow Chikan Embroidery, the present
practice of using wooden blocks to convert
designs is time consuming and expensive, with
limited variations in design.
The project intends in concentrating on
Lucknow Chikan embroidery. The present
project would like to investigate and
develop the following areas.
- Understanding the contemporary design
style and the past heritage.
- Using Computer Aided Design (CAD),
developing new motifs and composition of
past Indian and original Persian design
- The project would also develop
hand-held computer printer, in place of
block for easy transferring design
directly from the computer to the fabric
- Developing a Design Tool: Using Computer
Aided Design(CAD), developing an in-house
software tool for making Chikan
- Developing a Printer: Developing a
hand-held computer printer for easy
transferring designs directly from the
computer on to the fabric surface.
This software would help in generating larger
variations of designs while being cost
effective and less time consuming than the
existing traditional Chikan Embroidery.
Prof Amit Ray