Courts, Networks and Start-ups: Institutions matter for South Asian small enterprises
The growth of business, especially small and medium scale enterprises (SME) are critical for employment generation in less developed countries. The optimism that small scale enterprises, and their traditional way of doing business, are just a transitory phase in the process of development does not hold much ground anymore. Instead, we see that large firms and small ones are thriving together through different types of complementary roles. Hence, understanding the growth of small enterprises and their way of doing business is critical for understanding the development process. This study, seeks to identify the role of the institutions of contract writing in business formation. Specifically, we would like to see how two competing institutions of contract writing -- formal courts and informal networks -- complement, substitute and interact with each other to affect people's decision to do business. This has very important policy implications for developing countries where making the formal court system more effective is one of the focus area of the governance related policies.
PI: Prof. Tanika Chakraborty
Co-PI: Prof. Sarani Saha
- One of the Institute Fellow awards 2013 is conferred upon Professor T V S Ramamohan Rao, retired faculty of Economics.
- Dr. T Ravichandran has been selected for the prestigious Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowship, 2014 for his research proposal on "Literature, Technology and Environment: Global and Pedagogical Perspectives".
- The Distinguished Teacher Award 2014 is conferred upon Professor Arun Kumar Sharma.
- Distinguished Teaching Award 2013 was conferred upon Professor G Neelakantan.
- Optimization Theory and Algorithms
- New New Trade Theories, Gravity Analysis, Spatial Planning, Trade and Wage Inequality,CGE analysis using GAMS, and Trade and Environment (Trade in Climate Smart Goods)
- Bayesian Econometrics, Econometrics
- Labor Economics, Development Economics, Demography
- Law and Economics; and Environmental Economics, (Consumerism, and Environmentalism)
- Agricultural Economics,Sustainable Development
- Behavioural Economics, Health Economics and Economic Development
- First and Second language acquisition, Language teaching and testing, Typological studies
- Indian writings in English, Life Writing, Postcolonial Studies
- Cognitive Linguistics; Lexical Semantics; Sign Linguistics; Indo-Aryan Linguistics
- Contemporary American Literature, Modernism and Postmodernism, Literary and Critical theories, Classics
- Indian literature and literary theory, Translation Studies, Literary Censorship
- Language Documentation and Description, Language Typology, Historical Linguistics, Dravidian Linguistics.
- Ethics, Political philosophy, Philosophy of mind
- Logic (Formal and Philosophical Logic), General philosophy of Science, Formal Epistemology
- Philosophy of Science, Epistemology