Postgraduate Admissions with MHRD Scholarship
As per the directives of the MHRD, the following procedure is to be adopted for admission to postgraduate programmes (Master and Doctoral) with MHRD scholarship/assistantship. The performance of the candidate in GATE will be considered for admission. If the candidate is to be selected through interview for postgraduate programmes, minimum 70% weightage is to be given to the performance in GATE. The remaining weightage (30% maximum) can be given to the candidate's academic record or performance in interview. Candidate opting for a general paper (XE or XL) may be further examined (by interview/written test) by the admitting institution. In such cases also the weightage for performance in GATE should not be less than 70%. The admitting institution will prescribe minimum passing percentage of marks in the interview. Some colleges/institutes specify GATE qualification as the mandatory requirement even for admission without MHRD scholarship/assistantship.
Candidates are advised to seek details of admission procedures and availability of MHRD scholarship/assistantship from the concerned admitting institution. The criteria for postgraduate admission with scholarship/assistantship are different for different admitting institutions. GATE offices will not entertain any enquiry about admission and award of scholarship/assistantship.
It is the responsibility of the admitting institution to award the MHRD scholarship/assistantship to only those candidates who secured marks equal to or more than the "qualifying mark" in the concerned GATE paper and for the corresponding category of the candidate . The management of the postgraduate scholarship/assistantship is also the responsibility of the admitting institution. The GATE committee also has no role in the award or disbursement of scholarship/assistantship. Similarly, reservation of seats under different categories is as per the policies and norms prevailing at the admitting institution and Government of India rules.
A candidate declared "GATE qualified at the time of admission" is entitled for MHRD fellowship for 24 months unless he/she loses it due to poor performance in the registered programme.
The students of Integrated Master Degree and Dual Degree programmes in Engineering/Technology are eligible to appear in GATE 2012 in order to qualify for the postgraduate scholarships in their own institutions only. They are not eligible for admission to a fresh M.E./M.Tech. programme.