Themes @ CESE
- Existing landscape and vegetation are largely protected
and preserved. Sustainable site planning to resources
and minimize disruption of natural ecosystem.
- Integrating the water body with design for optimal
- Architectural design optimized as per climate and sun
path analysis, achieving reduction in energy consumption.
- Optimization of building envelope by use of insulated
cavity walls, insulation of roof, and surface finishing
that reflects a major part of solar heat.
- Efficient glazing for openings which minimize solar
grains in summer, heat loss in winter, and maximize natural
- Roof shaded by bamboo trellis with green cover to cut
direct heat gain.
- Provision of an internal court shaded by louvers that
allow free air movement.
- Natural light and ventilation through skylights &
ventilators in common spaces.
- Use of indigenous and recycled materials with low embodied
- It is estimated that after optimizing building envelope,
thermal comfort conditions would be achieved for more
than 90% of the occupied hours in the non air-conditioned
- Passive strategies such as Earth Air Tunnel and thermal
storage provided to enable reduction in energy consumption
for conditioning the building.
- Efficient HVAC system with controls adopted.
- Reduction in water demand by selection of efficient
- Dedicated sewage treatment plant provided and the grey
water used for horticulture.
- Rain water from the building and surrounding area collected
and routed through a sedimentation tank to water body
for AC cooling. Overflow is led to a groundwater recharge
- Efficient lighting design with controls and integrated
- 30% of internal lighting demand met from renewable energy
source through photovoltaic panels.
- Outdoor lighting demand met by solar energy.
- Hot water requirement is met by solar system.
- The facility is fully ECBC (Energy Conservation Building
- The payback period is calculated to be approximately
5 years. An estimated net savings of 15% of total cost
in 15 years.
S. N. Tripathi
Centre for Environmental Science and Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
Kanpur 208016, India
+91-512-2596357/2596358/2596762 (CESE - 213)
+91-512-2597845 (FB - 314)