Advertisement Number: P.Rect./R&D/2022/212
About the project:
The research project “Food Security for Equitable Futures” in collaboration with Lancaster university, UK, and funded by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), aims to i) describe consequences of food insecurity (FI), focusing on pathways between household FI in childhood and adolescence, acquisition of essential skills (e.g. learning outcomes) and long-term impacts on health and well-being, ii) document household resilience strategies by examining what factors may mitigate/exacerbate the risk of experiencing FI, and iii) measure intrahousehold inequalities in FI by generating evidence on inequalities in the experience of FI, which will be used to develop a new survey measure for future use.
About the position: We are looking for a Project Post-Doctoral fellow who will primarily contribute to qualitative data collection, analysis, report generation, and publishing peer-reviewed papers, including leading some research papers. This is a mixed-methods project, the candidate will join a team of quantitative, qualitative, and mixed-methods researchers to contribute to data collection in India and data analysis.
About the team: The post-doctoral fellow will report to the project India PI- Dr Sukumar Vellakkal, Department of Economic sciences, IIT Kanpur. The post-doctoral fellow will also collaborate with Dr Jasmine Fledderjohann (the lead PI at Lancaster University, UK) as well as with 2 qualitative post-doctoral fellows and 1 quantitative post-doctoral fellow from Lancaster University, UK.
- Under the direction of the PI, the successful candidate will be expected to undertake research (review literature; collect, transcribe, and analyse primary qualitative data; engage in interdisciplinary discussion of research; contribute to collaborative academic outputs; provide intellectual leadership on selected academic outputs) to meet the aims and objectives of the project.
- In addition, the successful candidate will liaise and work with external academic staff (as stated above) on aspects related to data analysis, production of academic outputs, meetings, contributions to workshops, impact activities.
- Travel to research sites in Goa and Uttar Pradesh to assist with data collection, and other places for dissemination of findings, liaise with international stakeholders (including policymakers and academics), and contribute to project workshops.
- In consultation with the PI, identify opportunities for own professional development (e.g. supported leadership on outputs, formal training courses) and actively engage with identified opportunities to enhance your research skills and CV.
- Participate in team meetings and connect with researchers within the project, and develop/participate in research networks more broadly.
- Prepare and deliver presentations, draft policy briefs, and actively participate in writing academic articles of high quality for submission to top social science journals.
- Contribute to impact activities, and identify unforeseen opportunities to increase impact of research findings.
Relevant skills & experience
- Significant background in collecting, transcribing, translating, and analysing qualitative data.
- Prior fieldwork experience
- Impressive publications record (relative to career stage) in high impact quality research journals.
- Ph.D. in economics, sociology, anthropology or in any related branches of social sciences, with experience in qualitative data collection and analysis.
Compensation & benefits
Salary: A consolidated salary within the range of Rs 1.2 - 1.4 lakhs (as per the experience). He/she will get the opportunity to work in a conductive environment and can avail the hostel/family accommodation facility (according to availability) at IIT Kanpur. As regards the medical facilities, only the OPD facility for self shall be available at the Health Centre of IIT Kanpur without any reimbursement of cost of medicines. Any outside referral shall not be reimbursed. For the purpose, a medical booklet shall be provided to you on request.
Duration of Appointment
- The post is purely temporary and is on contractual basis.
- The appointment for the post is up to two years. Appointment will be initially for one year. Renewal of appointment will be subjected to the performance of the candidate.
The department reserves the right to fix suitable criteria for short listing of eligible candidates satisfying qualifications and experience. Short listed candidates will be informed with an email about the date of interview.
Interested candidates may apply via email (to <firstname.lastname@example.org>) with a CV including details qualifications and experience with copies of relevant certificates by August 25, 2022.
Dr Sukumar Vellakkal
Department of Economic Sciences
Indian Institute of Technology
Kanpur – 208016