- B. Tech. (Hons), IIT Kharagpur, 1982-86
- Ph.D., University of Arizona, USA, 1991-95
- Project Engineer, BOC (India) Ltd, Kolkata, 1986-90
- Alexander Humboldt Fellow, University of Hannover, Germany, 2004-06
We continue to synthesize novel nanomaterials to address energy, environmental and health problems. In particular, our research themes center around the development of carbon-based materials, especially carbon nanofibers and carbon nanoparticles in the adsorption, and catalytic reaction applications including microbial fuel cells. The recent focus is on the synthesis and characterization of the adsorbents and metal catalysts for the removal of common atmospheric air pollutants such as CO2, NOx, and SOx by adsorption and/or catalytic oxidation and that of solutes such as arsenic, fluoride, heavy metals, and organics from wastewater by adsorption. We have also undertaken studies on the catalytic wet air oxidation of recalcitrant organics in water. On the theoretical side, a number of mathematical models based on lattice Boltzmann method have been developed to predict the breakthrough curves in the narrow tubular packed bed adsorber. The recent focus is on the development of lattice Boltzmann models for multi-phase flow.
- Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowship 2018-2019
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry, UK, 2015
- Raj and Neera Singh Chair (2015-18)
- Raj and Neera Singh Chair (2011-14)
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow (2003)
- M. H. Shukla Memorial Award for the Best technical paper presented, CHEMCON, Kolkata (December 2000).
- ICTE career award for the young teacher (1998).
- University of Arizona Graduate Fellowship (1991-92).
- S. K. Nandi Memorial merit scholarship, IIT Kharagpur (1985-86)
- Process Engineer, BOC Gases, New Jersey, USA, 1995-97
- Fluid Mechanics for Chemical Engineers (NPTEL)
- Mass Transfer for Chemical Engineers (NPTEL)
- Finite Difference-based Numerical Methods in Chemical Engineering: e-Lectures
- "Aqueous Phase Adsorption: Theory, Simulations and Experiments" , edited by Jayant K. Singh and Nishith Verma. (2018) Taylor & Francis/CRC Press.
- "Novel Carbon-based Nano-adsorbents for Water Purification" , by Nishith Verma and Ashutosh Sharma in "Aquananotechnology: Global Prospects", edited by David Reisner and T. Pradeep. (2014) Taylor & Francis/CRC Press.
- "Process for the treatment of wastewater" (Indian patent no: SP2034, filed, September 2017; Inventors: Ashish Yadav, Nishith Verma (IIT Kanpur); Kaushik Basak and Arin Von Mourik (Shell International Research Maatschappiz BV, The Netherlands).
- "Process for the treatment of wastewater" (Indian patent no: 201641017964, filed, May 2016; International patent no: WO 2017/202843 A1, filed, November 2017 ; Inventors: Nishith Verma (IIT Kanpur); Kaushik Basak and Arin Von Mourik (Shell International Research Maatschappiz BV, The Netherlands).
- “Process for Preparing a Catalyst and Use Thereof” (Indian patent no: 201641017930, filed, May 2016; International patent no: WO 2017/202863 A1, filed, November 2017 ; Inventors: Nishith Verma (IIT Kanpur); Kaushik Basak and Arin Von Mourik (Shell International Research Maatschappiz BV, The Netherlands).
- "Preparation of graphitic carbon micro-nanofiber-based electrodes, asymmetrically dispersed with bimetal nanoparticles, and applications thereof in energy devices" (Indian patent No. 654/DEL/2015, filed, February 2015; Inventors: Nishith Verma; Shiv Singh).
- “Laser-facilitated synthesis of metal nanoparticles and carbon nanofibers-dispersed PVA-based microchannels for water remediation” (US patent application no: IN-867185, Filed 2014; Inventors: Nishith VERMA; Prateek KHARE; Janakarajan RAMKUMAR).
- “Preparation of Ag-and-Cu-nanometals in-situ doped microbeads as antibacterial applications in water”(US patent No: IN-852545 (RFI-100128), Filed 2013; Inventors: Nishith VERMA; Prateek KHARE; Ashutosh SHARMA).
- “Preparation of bi-metals in-situ doped multi-functional micro-and nanoadsorbents for the control of contaminants in water" (US patent No:13/482,564, Filed 2012; Inventors: Ajit K. Sharma, Ashutosh Sharma, Nishith Verma).
- “Preparation of activated carbon fibers/carbon nanofibers dispersed PVA nanocomposite material for lithium ion electrolyte battery separator" (US patent No: IN-820943 (RFI-100128), Filed 2012; Inventors: Ajit K. Sharma, Jayant K. Singh, Nishith Verma).
- “Process for synthesis of sonicated hierarchal web of carbon micro-nano-fiber and applications thereof" (IPA No. 1157/DEL/2009; granted in November 2017, Inventors: Nishith Verma, Riju Singhal, Ashutosh Sharma).
- “Liquid-solid radially cross-flow multi-stage fluidized bed contactor” (Indian Patent No: 25837, filed on April 2007 and granted on January , 2014, Inventors: Nishith Verma and Rupesh Verma).
- Bairagi, P., Verma, N., "Methyl nicotinate biomarker of tuberculosis voltammetrically detected on cobalt nanoparticle-dispersed reduced graphene oxide-based carbon film in blood" (2019) Sensors & Actuators: B. Chemical ,DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2019.126754.
- Pophali, A., Lee, K-M, Zhang, L., Chuang, Y-C, Ehm, L., Cuiffo, M.A., Halada, G.P., Rafailovich, M., Verma, N., Kim, T. "First Synthesis of Poly(furfuryl) Alcohol Precursor-based Porous Carbon Beads as an Efficient Adsorbent for Volatile Organic Compounds" (2019) Chemical Engineering J. In press .
- Bairagi, P., Verma, N., "Electro-polymerized polyacrylamide nano film grown on a Ni-reduced graphene oxide-polymer composite: A highly selective non-enzymatic electrochemical recognition element for glucose" (2019) Sensors & Actuators: B. Chemical ,DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2019.03.057.
- Popahali, A, Yadav, A, Verma, N. "Efficient Oxygen Reduction in a Microbial Fuel Cell based on Carbide-derived Carbon Electrode using Thiourea as a Single Source of Electroconductive Heteroatoms and Graphitic Carbon" (2019) International Journal of Hydrogen Energy ,10.1016/j.ijhydene.2019.02.147.
- Gupta, S. G., Kumar, A, Verma, N. "Bacterial homoserine lactones as nanocomposite fertilizer and defense regulator for chickpeas" (2019) Environmental Science: Nano ,DOI: 10.1039/C9EN00199A.
- Bairagi, P., Gupta, G.S., Verma, N. "Fe-enriched Clay-coated and Reduced Graphene Oxide-modified N-doped Polymer Nanocomposite: A Natural Recognition Element-based Sensing Electrode for DNT" (2019) Electroanalysis 31 , 2035-44 .
- Yadav, A., Verma, N. "Efficient hydrogen production using Ni-graphene oxide-dispersed laser-engraved 3D carbon micropillars as electrodes for microbial electrolytic cell" (2019) Renewable Energy , 138, 628-638.
- Noori, M.T., Verma, N. "Cobalt - Iron phthalocyanine supported on carbide - Derived carbon as an excellent oxygen reduction reaction catalyst for microbial fuel cells" (2019) Electrochimica Acta , 298, 70-79.
- Ashfaq, M., Verma, N., Khan, S. "Novel polymeric composite grafted with metal nanoparticle-dispersed CNFs as a chemiresistive non-destructive fruit sensor material" (2018) " (2018) Materials Chemistry and Physics , 217, 216-224.
- Kumar, A., Verma, N. "Wet air oxidation of aqueous dichlorvos pesticide over catalytic copper-carbon nanofiberous beads", (2018) Chemical Engineering Journal ,351, 428-440.
- Yadav, A., Verma, N. "Carbon bead-supported copper-dispersed carbon nanofibers: An efficient catalyst for wet air oxidation of industrial wastewater in a recycle flow reactor", (2018) Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry ,67, 448-460.
- Pandey, I., Bairagi, P.K., Verma, N. " Electrochemically grown polymethylene blue nanofilm on copper-carbon nanofiber nanocomposite: An electrochemical sensor for creatinine" (2018) Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical ,277, 562-570.
- Bhadauriya, P., Mamtani, H., Ashfaq, M., Raghav, A. Teotia, AK, Kumar, A., Verma, N." Synthesis of yeast-immobilized and copper nanoparticle-dispersed carbon nanofiber-based diabetic wound dressing material: Simultaneous control of glucose and bacterial infections" (2018) ACS Applied Bio Materials 1 (2) ,246-258.
- Bairagi, P., Verma, N. "Electrochemically deposited dendritic poly (methyl orange) nanofilm on metal-carbon-polymer nanocomposite: A novel non-enzymatic electrochemical biosensor for cholesterol" (2018) Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry ,814, 134-143.
- Kumar, R., Ashfaq, M., Verma, N. "Synthesis of Novel PVA-Starch Formulation-supported Cu-Zn Nanoparticle Carrying Carbon Nanofibers as a Nanofertilizer: Controlled Release of Micronutrients" (2018) Journal of Materials Science 53(10) ,7150-7164.
- Singh, S., Bairagi, P., Verma, N., "Candle soot-derived carbon nanoparticles: An inexpensive and efficient electrode for microbial fuel cells" (2018) Electrochimica Acta ,264, 119–127.
- Prajapati, Y., Verma, N., "Hydrodesulfurization of thiophene on activated carbon fiber-supported nimo catalysts" (2018) Energy & Fuels 32(2) ,2183-2196.
- Prajapati, Y., Verma, N., "Fixed bed adsorptive desulfurization of thiophene over Cu/Ni-dispersed carbon nanofiber" (2018) Fuel ,216, 381-389.
- Mishra, S., Yadav A., Verma, N.,"Carbon gel-supported Fe-graphene disks: Synthesis, adsorption of aqueous Cr(VI) and Pb(II) and the removal mechanism" (2017)Chemical Engineering Journal 326, 987–999.
- Yadav, A., Verma, N., "Enhanced hydrogen storage in graphitic carbon micro-nanofibers at moderate temperature and pressure: Synergistic interaction of asymmetrically-dispersed nickel-ceria nanoparticles" (2017) International Journal of Hydrogen Energy ,42, 27139-27153.
- Yadav, A., Faisal, M., Subramaniam, A., Verma, N., "Nickel Nanoparticle-doped and Steam-modified Multiscale Structure of Carbon Micro-Nanofibers for Hydrogen Storage: Effects of Metal, Surface Texture and Operating Conditions", " (2017) International Journal of Hydrogen Energy ,42, 6104-6117.
- Ashfaq M., Verma N., Khan S., Highly effective Cu/Zn-carbon micro/nanofiber-polymer nanocomposite-based wound dressing biomaterial against the P. aeruginosa multi- and extensively drug-resistant strains Materials Science and Engineering C ,77, 630-641 (2017) .
- Ashfaq, M., Verma,N., Khan, S., "Carbon nanofibers as a micronutrient carrier in plants: efficient translocation and controlled release of Cu nanoparticles Carbon nanofibers as a micronutrient carrier in plants: efficient translocation and controlled release of Cu nanoparticles", (2017) Environmental Science: Nano, 4 (1) ,138-148, (2017).
- Gupta S., Yadav A., Singh S., Verma N., Synthesis of Silicon Carbide-Derived Carbon as an Electrode of a Microbial Fuel Cell and an Adsorbent of Aqueous Cr(VI) Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research ,56, 1233-1244 (2017).
- Modi, A., Singh, S., Verma, N., "Improved performance of a single chamber microbial fuel cell using nitrogen-doped polymer-metal-carbon nanocomposite-based air-cathode", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy ,42, 3271-3280 (2017).
- Mishra S., Verma N., Surface ion imprinting-mediated carbon nanofiber-grafted highly porous polymeric beads: Synthesis and application towards selective removal of aqueous Pb(II) Chemical Engineering Journal4 (2), Vol. 313, 1142-1151 (2017).. .
- Prajapati, Y.N., Verma, N., "Adsorptive desulfurization of diesel oil using nickel nanoparticle-doped activated carbon beads with/without carbon nanofibers: Effects of adsorbate size and adsorbent texture", (2017) Fuel 189, 186-194.
- Gupta, S., Yadav, A., Verma, N., "Simultaneous Cr(VI) reduction and bioelectricity generation using microbial fuel cell based on alumina-nickel nanoparticles-dispersed carbon nanofiber electrode", (2017) Chemical Engineering Journal ,307, 729-738.
- Khare, P., Ramkumar, J., Verma, N., "Carbon Nanofiber-skinned Three Dimensional Ni/Carbon Micropillars: High Performance Electrodes of a Microbial Fuel Cell", (2016) Electrochimica Acta ,219, 88-98.
- Babu, H.V., Sahu, S., Haderlein, M., Peukert, W., Verma, N. "Numerical Investigation of Flow Patterns and Concentration Profiles in Y-Mixers", (2016) Chemical Engineering and Technology 39 ,1963-1971.
- Andrabi, S.M., Tiwari, J., Singh, S., Sarkar, J., Verma, N., Kumar, A., "Supermacroporous hybrid polymeric cryogels for efficient removal of metallic contaminants and microbes from water", (2016) International Journal of Polymeric Materials and Polymeric Biomaterials ,65, 636-645.
- Prajapati, Y., Bhaduri, B., Joshi, H.C., Srivastava, A., Verma, N., “Aqueous Phase Adsorption of Different Sized Molecules on Activated Carbon Fibers: Effect of Textural Properties”, (2016) Chemosphere ,155, pp. 65-69.
- Yadav, A., Teja, A.K., Verma, N., “Removal of phenol from water by catalytic wet air oxidation using carbon bead-Supported iron nanoparticle-Containing carbon nanofibers in an especially configured reactor” (2016) Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering 4 (2) ,pp. 1504-1513.
- Khare, P., Yadav, A., Ramkumar, J., Verma, N., “Microchannel-embedded metal-carbon-polymer nanocomposite as a novel support for chitosan for efficient removal of hexavalent chromium from water under dynamic conditions” (2016) Chemical Engineering Journal 293 ,pp. 44-54.
- Ashfaq, M., Verma, N., Khan, S., “Copper/zinc bimetal nanoparticles-dispersed carbon nanofibers: A novel potential antibiotic material” (2016) Materials Science and Engineering C 59 ,pp. 938-947.
- Modi, A., Singh, S., Verma, N., “In situ nitrogen-doping of nickel nanoparticle-dispersed carbon nanofiber-based electrodes: Its positive effects on the performance of a microbial fuel cell” (2016) Electrochimica Acta 190 ,pp. 620-627.
- Singh, S., Modi, A., Verma N., “Enhanced power generation using a novel polymer-coated nanoparticles dispersed-carbon micro-nanofibers-based air-cathode in a membrane-less single chamber microbial fuel cell” (2016) International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 41 (2) ,pp. 1237-1247.
- Talreja, N., Verma, N., Kumar, D., "Carbon Bead-Supported Ethylene Diamine-Functionalized Carbon Nanofibers: An Efficient Adsorbent for Salicylic Acid", (2016) Clean - Soil, Air, Water 44 ,pp. 1461-1470.
- Khare P., Verma N., "A Novel Alumina Nanoparticle-Carbon Micronanofiber-Polypropylene Nanocomposite with Improved Electrical, Thermal and Mechanical Properties " (2015) Polymer Composites .
- Mishra, S., Verma, N., “Carbon bead-supported hollow carbon nanofibers synthesized via templating method for the removal of hexavalent chromium” (2016) Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 36 , pp. 346-354 .
- Bhaduri B., Verma N., "Carbon bead-supported Nitrogen-enriched and Cu-doped carbon nanofibers for the abatement of NO emissions by reduction" (2015) Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 457 ,pp 62-71 .
- Modi, A., Bhaduri, B., Verma, N., "Facile one-step synthesis of nitrogen-doped carbon nanofibers for the removal of potentially toxic metals from water" (2015) Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 54 (18) , pp 5172-5178 .
- Khare, P., Ramkumar, J., Verma, N., "Control of Bacterial Growth in Water using Novel Laser-Ablated Metal-Carbon-Polymer Nanocomposite-based Microchannels” (2015) Chemical Engineering J. 276 , pp 65-74 .
- Bhaduri, B, Verma, N. "Removal of CO by water-gas shift reaction over bimetal CeO2 and Ni NPs dispersed in carbon micro-nanofibers" (2015) Catalysis Letters, 145 (6) , pp 1262-1271 .
- Singh, S., Verma, N., “Fabrication of Ni nanoparticles-dispersed carbon micro-nanofibers as the electrodes of a microbial fuel cell for bio-energy production” (2015) International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 40 (2) , pp. 1145-1153 .
- Gupta, R., Kumar, R., Sharma, A., Verma, N., “Novel Cu-carbon nanofiber composites for the counter electrodes of dye-sensitized solar cells” (2015) International Journal of Energy Research, 39 (5) , pp. 668-680 .
- Singh, S., Verma, N., “Graphitic carbon micronanofibers asymmetrically dispersed with alumina-nickel nanoparticles: A novel electrode for mediatorless microbial fuel cells” (2015) International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 40 (17) , pp. 5928-5938 .
- Verma, N.K., Khare, P., Verma, N., “Synthesis of iron-doped resorcinol formaldehyde-based aerogels for the removal of Cr(VI) from water” (2015) Green Processing and Synthesis, 4 (1), , pp. 37-46 .