Smart energy grids are the backbone of the future Smart Cities. The smart distribution system of the smart grid will be responsible for intelligent management and operation of energy networks in cities.
The Smart City definition varies from city to city and country to country, depending on the level of development, willingness to change and reform, resources and aspirations of the city residents
- Smart City at IIT Kanpur includes 10 substation of IIT kanpur power distribution network.
- 10 substation of IIT kanpur feed around 9.2MW load of the institution.
- The main substation is 33KV/11KV substation that takes supply from the grid.
- The other substations are 11KV/440V substations which are connected to the main substation are responsible to feed the academic and residential load of IIT Kanpur.
- The Smart City pilot is designed in such a way that the future expansion, upgradation, research and development works are possible.
- Most of the smart devices will be connected in plug and play format. The technology framework will smart grid standards and protocols such as IEC61850 , Common Information Model for the seamless interoperability of data and message among various applications.
- Enterprise service bus (ESB) will serve as the backbone for the data exchange under the smart city pilot.
- It also includes home automation of 20 houses along with the 5kwP installation of PV system at each house.
- Development of central control center is to be done where monitoring & control of all the substation will be done.