Promote, Research, Innovation, Mentoring and Entrepreneurship (PRIME’83)
is an initiative by the distinguished IIT Kanpur alumni Late Mr Rajeev Motwani, seconded by others in the ’83 batch with a purpose of creating successful tech-entrepreneurs. The SBERTC, SIIC (SIDBI Innovation and Incubation Centre) IIT Kanpur, the Office of Dean of Resource Planning and Generation, the Office of Research and Development, IIT Kanpur have come together to facilitate this initiative.
PRIME Awards received a very enthusiastic response. The judging panel comprised of Prof J R Kumar, Mr. Rahul Swarup, Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of GOIP Global Services since 2010 and Mr. Srinath Mukherji, Co-Founder at India Shelter Finance Corporation Ltd
and Dr. B V Phani. There were twenty-one teams who sent their entries, out of which seven were shortlisted for appreciation. Cash Prizes worth Rs 1,25,000 were given to the winners along with substantial incubation that would be allocated in phases depending on the business model.
Teams receiving joint first prize of Rs 25,000 each:
- Ecoilet- Proposed by Bhitush Luthra and Jivtesh Singh Aulakh, it transforms sewage into manure and fertilizers by installing specially made toilets in rural homes.
- Ecofridge-Presented by Abhishek Kumar, Abhishek Shashtry, Aman Khatri, Diptiman Purbey, Kumar Kushang, it is a prototype for low cost refrigerator which runs without electricity, especially targeted for rural areas, helps to cope up with food wastage as well.
- Drug-testing-Harshvardhan and his team built a device to enable measurement of efficiency of a drug to be tested in pharmacy institutes, labs, and industries.
Teams which bagged joint second prize of Rs 15,000 each:
- Water Purification-Presented by Ankit Anand, Arihant Bhandari, Shivam Prakash under the guidance of Professors Dr. K. Muralidhar, Dr. Rajganesh Pala and Manoj Sharma, they contrived a water purification device working on renewable sources of energy.
- GIS for Road Conditions- Vishesh Kumar Panjabi, Mohit Soni and Saurabh Kumar under the guidance of Prof. Bharat Lohani have come up with an amazing 3D mapping system of the streets around us.
Teams winning the joint third prize of Rs 10,000 each:
- Hydrogen splitter- Arun Prakash Upadhyay, Dilip Kumar Behera, Gyan Prakash Sharma under the mentorship of Dr. Sri Sivakumar and Dr. Raj Ganesh S. Pala devised a unique and versatile method for fabricating metal-semiconductor nano/ heterostructure on variety of semiconductor surfaces via click chemistry for photoelectrochemical water splitting.
- Flapping with aerial vehicle- A prototype for spying/reconnaissance/aerial photography.
: Mr. Srinath appreciated the innovation and design of the shortlisted entries. As a word for the future enthusiasts, he emphasised upon the three Cs of a business plan- Customer
who will form the user community and who should be willing to pay for the product, Competition
, it is not just direct in nature, and alternatives also are the competitors for the product, Cash
flows for the venture including the investment and return.
The participants acknowledged PRIME as a great boon for their venture. Kushang says “Alumni are generous and willing to give back! I still can’t forget the meeting with my mentor Rajiv Choudhary at his residence in Delhi. We had it all- hospitality, contacts, tips and tricks and everything”.