Education and Experience
B.Tech, Central Electrochemical Research Institute, Karaikudi, 1993
M.E, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 1995
Ph.D, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 2000
Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, 2000-2002
Assistant Professor, Department Of Chemical Engg., IIT Kanpur, July 2002-Dec2007
Phone: +91 512 259 7377
Our research interests center around the areas of fluid
dynamics, rheology of complex fluids and interfacial
phenomena. Specifically, we focus on the understanding,
prediction and control of hydrodynamic instabilities that
arise in the flow of simple and complex fluids, and in
devising new strategies to manipulate instabilities towards
many technological applications. We use tools from applied
mathematics such as perturbation theory, asymptotic
analysis, as well as computational techniques such as the
spectral method to this end. For the first time, we have
demonstrated that soft solid coatings could be potentially
used to suppress a class of interfacial instabilities that
occur in co-extrusion of polymers and film coating
operations, without triggering any new instability in the
system. We have also uncovered new instabilities in viscoelastic liquid
flows adjacent to a deformable solid wall, which could be potentially exploited in improving
mixing at small scales, such as in micro-fluidic devices.
Our work on dewetting of viscoelastic liquids has shown, for
the first time, the importance of incorporating inertial
effects in the theory in order to obtain a correct
description of the length and time scales of the
instability. This prediction has important implications in
Awards and Recognitions
INSA Young Scientist Medal (2004)
INAE Young Engineer Award (2006)
IIChE Golden Jubilee Young Achiever Award (2007)
Associate, Indian Academy of Sciences (2004-2007)
Recent Selected Publications
- Gaurav and V. Shankar, Stability of pressure-driven flow in a deformable neo-Hookean channel,
Journal of Fluid Mechanics, In Press (2010).
- D. Bandyopadhyay, A. Sharma and V. Shankar, Electric-field - contact-force tunable patterns
in slipping soft elastic films, European Physical Letters 89, 36002 (2010).
- Gaurav and V. Shankar, Stability of fluid flow through deformable neo-Hookean tubes,
Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 627, 291-322 (2009).
- A. Jain and V. Shankar, Elastohydrodynamic suppression of free-surface instabilities in annular
liquid film flow outside wires and inside tubes, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research,
47, 6473-6485 (2008).
- D. Bandopadhyay, A. Sharma and V. Shankar, Instabilities and pattern minaturization in confined
and free-elastic viscous bilayers, Journal of Chemical Physics, 128, 154909 (12 pages) (2008).
- A. Jain and V. Shankar, Instability suppression in viscoelastic film flows down an inclined
plane lined with a deformable solid layer, Physical Review E, 76, 046314 (14 pages)(2007).
- Gaurav and V. Shankar, Stability of gravity-driven free-surface flow past a deformable solid at zero
& finite Reynolds number, Physics of Fluids, 19, 024105 (11 pages) (2007).
Complete list of Publications