- B.Tech., IIT Kanpur, 1968.
- M.S., Bucknell University, 1970.
- Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh, 1972.
Our research on microstructured reactors includes studies on monolith reactors and microreactors. A particularly attractive application of monoliths is in gas-liquid reactors such as catalytic hydrogenation and oxidation. However, the potential for use of monoliths in multiphase reactions has not been fully realized. Our present research focuses on the possibility of replacing conventional catalysts with monoliths for hydrodesulfurization. The performance of these reactors in the slug flow regime is being studied. The development of nanocatalysts for hydrodesulfurization is also under investigation. Moreover, microreactors for producing hydrogen for fuel cell applications by steam reforming of ethanol are being developed. The ongoing work in this area includes development of catalysts for the three main reactions (steam reforming, water-gas shift and preferential oxidation of CO), fabrication of microreactors using the developed catalysts and integration of these with microheat exchangers.
- Fellow, The National Academy of Sciences, India ( since Dec.2009)
- Chevron Corporation Chair Professor,I.I.T. Kanpur (June 1,2007-May31,2010; May 10,2011-August31, 2012).
- Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineering (from January 2002).
- Visiting Professor, Dept. of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, U.S.A., Oct-Dec.2009.
- Herdillia award of Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, for excellence in basic research in Chemical Engineering(1992).
- G.M. Abhyankar Memorial Distinguished Fellowship, in Chemical Engineering, Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai for 2010-2011.
- Godrej Annual Endowed Lecture, I.I.T. Bombay, Nov.2012.
- Chinnamaul Memorial Prize and M.H.Shukla 1st Prize of the Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers for the best technical paper presented in Chemcon 2011.
- B.Mitra, N.R.Peela, A.S.Sandupatla and D.Kunzru, “Development of a Microfuel Processor: Oxidative Steam Reforming of Ethanol and Water-Gas Shift Reaction on Noble Metal Catalysts in a Microreactor", Int. J. Environ.Engg. 2013 (in press).
- B.Mitra and D.Kunzru, “Enhancing p-Xylene Productivity for Disproportionation of Toluene in Microstructured Reactors", Chem. Eng. & Processing: Process Intensification , 64, 48-56, 2013.
- J.P.Chakraborty and D.Kunzru, “High Pressure Pyrolysis of n-Heptane: Effect of Initiators", J. Anal. Applied Pyrolysis, 95, 48-55, 2012.
- N.R.Peela and D.Kunzru, “Steam Reforming of Ethanol in a Microchannel Reactor: Kinetic Study and Reactor Simulation", Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 50(23), 12881-12894, 2011.
- B.Mitra, J.P.Chakraborty and D.Kunzru, “Disproportionation of Toluene on ZSM5 Washcoated Monolithss",AIChE J., 57(12), 3480-3495, 2011.
- M.Ashwini Kumar and D.Kunzru, “The Effect of Pre-Wetting on the Loading of ?-Alumina Washcoated Cordierite Monoliths", International J. Appl. Ceram. Technol. 8(2), 430-436, 2011.