- B.Tech., Chemical Engineering, IIT Kanpur, 1982.
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, 1984.
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, State University of New York at Buffalo, 1987.
Associate Editor: ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces (2014- ); ASME Journal of Micro- and Nano-Manufacturing(2012-2014); Editorial Advisory Boards: Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research (ACS publication) (2013-2015); Nanomaterials and Energy, ICE publishing (UK)(2011-2013); Chemical Engineering Science (2007-2010); Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering (2006-2007); Indian Chemical Engineer (Journal of the Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers (2006-); Journal of Colloid and Interface Science (2000-2002).
Institute Chair Professor (2007-); C V Seshadri Chair Professor (2012-); INAE Chair Professor (2011-2013); Ranjit Singh Chair Professor (2008-2011); Professor (1997-); Associate Professor (1994-97); Assistant Professor (1990-1994); Coordinator & PI, Unit on Nanosciences(2005-); Head, Department of Chemical Engineering (2003-05); Research Scientist, Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo (1987- 1990).
Visiting Appointments: University of Texas at Austin, 1997; University of Western Ontario, 2005; University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, 2006-07; WCU Visiting Professor, Yeungnam University, 2009-2013.
Honors and Awards
- The Syed Husain Zaheer Medal (a triennial award for Engineering and Technology), Indian National Science Academy (2011).
- Infosys Prize in Engineering and Computer Science, Infosys Science Foundation (2010).
- Elected Fellow, TWAS--The World Academy of Sciences (2010).
- The TWAS Prize in Engineering Sciences, TWAS, The World Academy of Sciences, Trieste, Italy (2008).
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (2007)
- Institute Chair Professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (2007-date)
- Elected Fellow, Indian National Science Academy
- Elected Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineering
- Elected Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences
- Elected Fellow, National Academy of Sciences, India
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize in Engineering Sciences (2002)
- J. C. Bose National Fellowship, Department of Science & Technology (2006-date)
- Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel Research Award, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (2006)
- Herdillia Award of the Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers for excellence in basic research (2003)
- S. Patil, A. Malasi, A. Majumder, A. Ghatak and A. Sharma, A reusable and antifouling viscoelastic adhesive with an elastic skin,Langmuir 28, 42-46 (2012). [Media Report]
- T. Maitra, S. Sharma, A. Srivastava, Y.-K. Cho, M. Madou and A. Sharma, Improved graphitization and electrical conductivity of suspended carbon nanofibers derived from carbon nanotube/polyacrylonitrile composites by directed electrospinning, Carbon 50, 1753-1761 (2012).
- A. Verma and A. Sharma, Sub-40 nm polymer dot arrays by self-organized dewetting of e-beam treated ultrathin polymer Films, RSC Advances 2, 2247-2249 (2012).
- S. Patil, A. Ranjan and A. Sharma, Pre-fracture instabilities govern generation of self- affine surfaces in tearing of soft viscoelastic elastomeric sheets, Macromolecules 45, 2066-2073 (2012).DOI: 10.1002/smll.201001939
- A. Verma, A. Sharma and G. U. Kulkarni, Ultrafast large area micropattern generation in non-absorbing polymer thin-films by pulsed laser diffraction, Small 7, 758-765 (2011).DOI: 10.1002/smll.201001939
- C. S. Sharma, H. Katepalli, A. Sharma and M. Madou, Fabrication and conductivity measurement of suspended carbon nanofiber arrays, Carbon 49 , 1727-1732 (2011).DOI:10.1016/j.carbon.2010.12.058
- A. Verma and A. Sharma, Enhanced self-organized dewetting of ultrathin polymer films under water-organic solutions: fabrication of sub-micron spherical lens arrays, Advanced Materials 22, 5306-5309(2010).DOI: 10.1002/adma.201002768
- P. S. G. Pattader, I. Banerjee, A. Sharma and D. Bandyopadhyay, Multiscale pattern generation in viscoelastic polymer films by spatio-temporal modulation of electric field and control of rheology, Advanced Functional Materials 21, 324–335(2011).DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201001206
- R. Mukherjee, S. Das, A. Das, S. Sharma, A. K. Raychaudhuri and A. Sharma, Stability and dewetting of metal nanoparticles filled thin polymer films: control of instability length-scale and dynamics, ACS Nano 4, 3709-3724 (2010).
- J. Sarkar and A. Sharma, A unified theory of instabilities in viscoelastic thin films: from wetting to confined films, from viscous to elastic films, and from short to long waves, Langmuir 26, 8464–8473 (2010).
- C. S. Sharma, A. Sharma and M. Madou, Multiscale carbon structures fabricated by direct micro-patterning of electrospun mats of SU-8 photoresist nanofibers, Langmuir 26, 2218–2222 (2010).
- N. Arun, Ashutosh Sharma, Partho S., G. Pattader, Indrani Banerjee, Hemant M. Dixit and K. S. Narayan, Electric-Field-Induced Patterns in Soft Viscoelastic Films: From LongWaves of Viscous Liquids to ShortWaves of Elastic Solids, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 254502 (2009).
- R. Mukherjee, D. Bandyopadhyay and A. Sharma, Control of morphology in pattern directed dewetting of thin polymer films, Soft Matter 4, 2086-2097 (2008).
- M. M. Kulkarni, R. Bandyopadhyaya and A. Sharma, Janus silica film with hydrophobic and hydrophilic surfaces grown at oil-water interface, J. Materials Chem. 18, 1021-1028 (2008).
- Abhijit Majumder, Animangsu Ghatak and Ashutosh Sharma, Microfluidic Adhesion Induced by Sub-surface Micro-structures, Science, 318, 258-261,(2007). [Perspectives] [MEDIA REPORTS]
- Das A. L., Katiyer V., Mukherjee R., Kulkarni M., Ghatak A. and Sharma A., Pattern miniaturization using hydrogel, Adv. Mat. DOI: 10.1002/adma.200602681 (2007).
- Arun N., Sharma A., Shenoy V. and Narayan K. S., Electric field controlled surface instabilities in soft elastic films, Adv. Materials 18, 660-663 (2006).
- Gonuguntala M., Sharma A., Sarkar J., Subramanian S. A., Ghosh M. and V. Shenoy, Contact Instability in adhesion and debonding of thin elastic films, Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 018303 (2006).