1. Playing games on the machines in the computer centre
2. Locking the screen of machines in the computer centre
3. Sending junk mail to all the users
4. Sending chain letters
Minimum punishment is suspension of computer access facilities for two weeks. Additionally financial fine may also be imposed.
1. Unnecessary downloads from the Internet.
Minimum punishment is suspension of computer access facilities for two weeks. In addition (s)he will have to compensate the institute for the resources wasted.
1. Giving accounts to other persons, sometimes outsiders
2. Storing pornographic material on the disk
3. Viewing pornographic material on terminals
4. Using personal account to do outside (non-institute) work for which the
individual is paid.
Minimum punishment is suspension of access facilities for six months and cases being sent to concerned authorities for disciplinary action.
Security related misuse:
1. Breaking security of the systems
2. Trying to capture password of other users
3. Damaging/gaining access to the data of other users
This kind of abuse is taken most seriously. Anyone found involved in these activities will have access being denied for one year. The cases will be sent to concerned authorities for necessary disciplinary action.
We cannot enumerate all the cases. However, a thumb rule is that any activity which inconveniences users, depletes the computer centre resources, or jeopardizes the security of the systems, amounts to unethical use. Moreover it should be noted that the punishment set out for various cases can change and can be very severe depending on the view that the institute takes of the offence.